Pacific Light Technologies is a technology company developing and manufacturing high performance nanomaterials as alternatives to conventional phosphors in solid-state lighting and display applications. By replacing phosphors our products boost LED efficacy by up to 30% and enable a color gamut not possible with state-of-the-art LED display technology.
The Test and Characterization Team carries out a wide variety of tests to determine the reliability of PLT’s nanomaterials in real-life applications. This includes optical characterization of quantum dots at various stages in the production process. Quantum dot nanomaterials are dispensed into LED packages and subsequently exposed to harsh operating conditions both for assuring product quality as well as furthering the development of more advanced materials. Test protocols, equipment and software are constantly updated to ensure that the tests remain relevant.
After a period of hands-on training, the Test Engineer will carry out routine optical testing of nanomaterials and provide valuable feedback to Chemists, Material Scientists, and Engineers. Importantly, we are looking for a Test Engineer that will be a broad-based problem solver capable of working in an integrated cross-disciplinary team of applications scientists and engineers. Based on the individual’s abilities, the scope of this role has the potential to be widened to cover more sophisticated tasks of the Test Team.
The daily duties of the Test Engineer will include:
- Measuring the optical properties of quantum dot based LEDs with strict attention to test protocols
- Preparing and decommissioning LED test fixtures
- Mixing quantum dots into a silicone matrix for use in LEDs
- Troubleshooting custom written control software
- Updating hardware and software
- Preparing reports, charts, and graphs
- Providing general upkeep of labs and tools
Skills and Experience:
- Highly motivated, self-directed, and goal-oriented
- The ability to readily learn new laboratory techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to strictly follow instructions and protocols
- The ability to keep careful records in a laboratory notebook
- Knowledge of laboratory and chemical safety
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite
- The ability to learn new data analysis tools
- The ability to use hand tools
Competitive candidates will have some of the following skills:
- Proficiency in Labview
- Programming experience with any of the following: C/C++/C#, Visual Basic, Python, or SQL
- Data analysis using technical computing programs such as Matlab, Mathematica, or Igor Pro
- Familiarity with statistical data analysis software such as JMP, Minitab or equivalent
- Design and implementation of optical setups using lenses, mirrors, and detectors
- Elementary circuit design
- Equipment Automation
- Familiarity with microcontrollers such as Arduino or Raspberry Pi
- Familiarity with metal work and machine shop equipment (bandsaw , endmill, lathe, etc.)
We seek highly qualified individuals holding a Bachelor’s Degree in Physics, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related fields.
Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
Hours and Compensation
- This is a full-time position
- Compensation is variable based on experience
- Relocation expenses are not available for this position